Artist Application Info
First and foremost, we want this project to be fun and enjoyable for those involved. We want to promote a good collaborative and friendly environment for all our artists and encourage networking during each issue’s progress.
Please understand that there are only three collaboration artists per issue, one solo cover artist per issue and only four issues per year. As such, we may not be able to accommodate everyone! We will certainly do our best but please do not take it to heart if we cannot place you!
There are ~3 months of work time per issue with deadlines for each stage of the collaborative pieces. Artists are expected to be able to complete their portions for each deadline so that they can be passed on to the next artist and everyone has enough time to complete their stages until completion.
The cover artist has the entire 3 months to work on their piece for the cover, start to finish and is expected to be a fully coloured and shaded piece unless the theme conflicts and/or an alternative approach is agreed upon.
Please be sure to read ALL of the sections below before applying. You must be at least 19 years of age (and a legal adult in your area of residence) to participate.
- Three collaborative artists per ‘zine and one solo guest cover artist
- We accept all styles of 2D visual art!
- Digital/Traditional is fine as you work/scan at 300dpi+. (There are Templates)
- Art must be PG (Barbie doll nude if nessesary. No gore, excessive blood, etc)
- Quarterly (~3 months to work per ‘zine)
- Jan 1st-March 31st
- Applications due Dec 1st
- Sketches due Jan 20th
- Inks due Feb 20th
- Completed pieces should be in by March 15th to give time for post production, printing, mailing, etc.
- Goes live in the digital store for March 31st/Apr 1st
- Apr 1st-Jun 30th
- Applications due March 1st
- Sketches due Apr 20th
- Inks due May 20th
- Completed pieces should be in by June 15th to give time for post production, printing, mailing, etc.
- Goes live in the digital store for July 1st
- Jul 1st-Sept 30th
- Applications due Jun 1st
- Sketches due Jul 20th
- Inks due Aug 20th
- Completed pieces should be in by Sept 15th to give time for post production, printing, mailing, etc.
- Goes live in the digital store for Oct 1st
- Oct 1st-Dec 31st
- Applications due Sept 1st
- Sketches due Oct 20th
- Inks due Nov 20th
- Completed pieces should be in by Dec 15th to give time for post production, printing, mailing, etc.
- Goes live in the digital store for Jan 1st
- Jan 1st-March 31st
- At each stage of the piece for the collab artists, it will be swapped with another artist so each artist will sketch, ink and colour a different piece. Example below:
These ‘zines will be Fantasy/Sci-fi based, meaning you can draw pretty much anything as long as it has some kind of element that fits the theme (if any) and follows the PG guidelines. Please also be sure that you have the rights to the characters that you use in the ‘zine. Artists are welcome to sign up for whatever themed issue they are interested in, just remember there are 3 collab slots and 1 solo cover artist slot per issue.
Each stage of the collab pieces will be showcased in the ‘zine, with a full page on the finished pieces and quarter pages for the sketch and inks. The cover art will also have its own dedicated full page and each image will list credit. We will also require that the collab artists write a short note (25-70 words) of their process for each stage they complete with the intention of it being included in the book. Please keep in mind that alterations or omissions of parts or all of the provided text may occur as each page does have limited space. We will of course make every effort to keep as much in as we can and to have you approve any alterations.
The cover artist will only be expected to draw the image, present WIPs to the group for approval by the Canvas Swap team and send the high res final file for use on the cover. We will have a cover template and thumbnail templates available for you to use. Please ensure that different elements of the image are separated. They can be flattened elements but having the character separate from the background and the foreground from the character and background will give us the most leeway on ensuring that your piece can look its best on our cover. This will allow us to overlap your image over some of our cover elements, etc. You will not be required to send in the short notes as the cover art only has a one page feature at this time. (In the future, if the book gets expanded to include a full page spread, this may be a requirement.)
Artist Team & Communication
PLEASE NOTE: Your involvement will be secret until your reveal date so please so not discuss or tell others until then!
- Email will be the primary mode of communication for each issues artists. You will be expected to respond to the group emails so that all artists know what is going on unless you feel the need to contact the organizer privately for questions or concerns.
- The artists may also use the official (private) artist chat on Discord as long as decisions/notes/files/important info make it to email.
- Physical ‘Zine: 5.5×8.5” – 25 initial physical copies will be made of each ‘zine.
- Digital PDF: 5.5×8.5” – These will be available in unlimited quantities in our ‘zine store.
- There will be 25 physical copies* made of each ‘zine (subject to change.) 5 copies will be mailed (free of charge) to each party involved; Collab Artists, Cover Artist and Canvas Swap. Each artist may sell their copies however they wish (in bundles, as an auction, solo, etc) for however much they wish. Canvas Swap’s copies may be used for marketing, sales, events/auctions, book bundles, etc., with the aim to make back overhead and expansion costs. If funding allows, re-printing may occur until up to one year after initial release. After one year, no more physical copies will be made, unless other agreements are made with the artists involved.
- Each issue will contain a profile section that will showcase the name, profile image and URLs provided by each artist.
- Each issue will be advertised on the ‘zine social media, website, etc., and will include links to the artists involved. If the artists @ the Canvas Swap accounts when posting ‘zine sale offers, cropped previews of their works, etc we will be happy to spread the word!
*Larger runs may happen if funding/sales increase beyond covering our base costs to run!
*If an artist wishes to purchase extra copies of ‘zines for themselves during the year following the release of the ‘zine, they may do so by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org (keep in mind there may be a minimum order of 10-25 depending on our print source at the time. If you want to order extras at the beginning, to be included in your free 5, let us know in advance.)
|In the future, If the ‘zine project starts gathering enough interest and/or we can secure further funds for it, we will be happy to pay each artist a flat rate for their time. We realize contributing without being paid is sometimes a deal breaker and we completely understand the choice to not participate because of this. We want to run this for the love of art, making connections and creating with others in our community BUT we also want everyone to be fairly compensated for their time and effort. Feel free to watch our accounts for updates on this matter and notifications on new ‘zines, where artists are selling their copies, etc! Your support, even if not through creation, is extremely appreciated as it helps ensure our artists find buyers for their copies and we can secure a future where all our creators get paid in!|
Licensing & Rights
- By accepting a position as an issue’s artist, you are granting Canvas Swap (WildElement Studios) the exclusive rights, for one month after the initial release, than non-exclusive rights thereafter to reproduce your pieces created for the ‘zine and your likeness (in the form of the artist bio/profile section) in the ‘zine and in promotional material for the ‘zine, both digitally and in print, until 11:59PM MST, Dec 31st, 2027.
- You are permitted to post teaser images of your pieces as you work on them as long as they are small cropped portions of the image that do not reveal the entire piece. We request that you link back to the project when posting these.
- At this time, live streaming your piece is not allowed unless specific agreements are made for specific circumstances like events or other agreed promotional viewings.
- Reprinting may occur if we can secure the funds to do so, however ‘zines will only remain in print for one year after their creation, unless other agreements are made with the artists involved. After that it will no longer be printed but will remain available in digital format in the Canvas Swap store.
- Reprinting will only occur through Canvas Swap, you may not reprint the zine yourself unless given written permission from Canvas Swap staff.
- As each issue’s “Completed Images” are considered a collaborative work, all three artists – having had a hand in the creation of all three images – will agree that print/posting and reproduction rights of the final images will belong to all the artists involved (and to Canvas Swap, as detailed is part 1.) This means that each artist can sell, print, post, etc the final works AS LONG as credit is cited for each artist involved upon selling it, either as part of the description of the image or detailed on the back of the printed piece. Each sketch phase will belong to the individual artist that created it while the inked phases belong to both the sketch and ink artists involved.
- We also request that in the description of your uploads, you credit the owner of the characters portrayed.
- Please note that if you accept to take part in this and drop out before completing your workload, Canvas Swap reserves the right to have someone else re-sketch/ink/colour the works you may have already completed and continue from there. The characters will be changed but the poses/outfits may be similar depending on time constraints. Dropping out may result in a temporary ban from working on another ‘zine for at least 3 issues. 2 drop outs and you may end up banned from working on our ”zines again at all in the future.
- Canvas Swap, it’s branding, Mascot (Zinnie) and all associated designs (website, ‘zine layouts, etc) are all © to Canvas Swap (WildElement Studios). You will not use any of the characters or designs associated with Canvas Swap without written permission.
Theme Plan (Subject to change)
- Jan 1st-March 31st 2018: Open theme
- Apr 1st-Jun 30th 2018: Steampunk
- July 1st-Sept 30th 2018: Light & Dark
- Oct 1st-Dec 31st 2018: Special Tigerdile Artist Issue
- Jan 1st-March 31st 2019: Pending
- Apr 1st-Jun 30th 2019: Pending
- July 1st-Sept 30th 2019: Pending
- Oct 1st-Dec 31st 2019: Pending
Applications and Waitlists
All artists must apply through our application form. Please come with an open mind and remember that the drawing subject of each image may vary and we encourage all characters and subject matter as long as they are PG, legal, aren’t hateful, discriminatory, etc.
While we aim to not have repeat artists within the same year, we appreciate any artists who are willing to be put on the wait list as backups in case a spot goes unfilled or someone drops out. (You can apply for this on the application form!)Apply Here
If you have questions or concerns please contact us!